The energy industry is a volatile one. A shift in one company’s operations could cause a domino effect and disrupt entire markets and economies. In a sector like this, information is a high-value asset and the security of communications is a vital part of protecting that information.
Due to the geopolitical significance of natural resources and energy, the industry faces high-profile cyber adversaries, including governments. At the same time, the global scope of operations in the sector requires stakeholders and executives to be constantly on the move. Traveling means switching networks, carriers, operators, and regulations all the time, as you go over state and national borders. This gives too many third parties access to naturally confidential communications.
How traveling expands the energy industry's threat model
For example, an executive from an energy company might have to undertake a trip to a foreign country to negotiate a deal, or to attend an industry summit. The moment they land on foreign soil, their smartphone connects to a local network, run by a local carrier. Like any mobile operator, including the ones in the persons’ home country, this is a company which has elevated access to that person’s communications.
Because data goes through a carrier’s network, they can:
- Access the content of communications if they are not encrypted.
- Access metadata about the communications: the time a message was sent, who it was sent to, from what specific location, etc.
- Locate the person, by monitoring which cell tower their device is connected to at any given moment.
- Push software, including malware, on the device.
- Hamper communication by cutting off a specific device’s access to the network.
Naturally, a security-wary traveler has to seek a way to remove local network operators from the equation. And if they are not able to do that – at least reduce the carriers’ ability to access communications, by encrypting them.
Our secure communication solutions for the energy sector
With Secure Phone, we offer a use-ready solution for many of the challenges outlined above. Here is what it offers:
- Instant connectivity. Secure Phone comes paired with Secure SIM, a multi-IMSI card, which provides unlimited data coverage across the globe. You do not have to deal with mobile operators and carriers in any country. At the same time, if one carrier’s network experiences technical problems and cannot provide coverage, the SIM can automatically switch IMSIs and connect to another operator’s network. This provides ultimate connectivity regardless of your location. Think of the device as a satellite smartphone, and of Secure Group as your secure carrier.
- End-to-End Encryption. Regular phone calls and text messages are not encrypted. This means that anyone who can intercept them can also listen or read the content (and this is more people than you think). In contrast, Secure Phone uses only end-to-end encrypted communications over email, chat, and VoIP. The messages or calls get encrypted on your device and decrypted only at the recipient’s end. If someone intercepts the communications, they will not be able to access the content.
- Additional security features. Secure Phone is a device built form the ground up with security in mind. It comes with a number of apps and features that further improve your mobile security. The device has a built-in IMSI-Catcher Detector, which warns you about suspicious network activity that could be a sign of wiretapping. The device also comes with powerful and multiple wipe capabilities, allowing you to erase all data on it at the press of a button. It also features complete device and storage encryption.